If you can't update or restore your iPad
You can put your iOS device in recovery mode, then restore it with iTunes.
In these situations, you might need to use recovery mode to restore your device:
- iTunes doesn't recognize your device or says it's in recovery mode.
- If your screen is stuck on the Apple logo for several minutes with no progress bar.
- You see the connect to iTunes screen.
Learn what to do if you see the progress bar on your screen for several minutes.
Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again
- Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
- If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
- While your device is connected, force restartit with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
- On an iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until your device begins to restart. Continue holding the Top button until your device goes into Recovery Mode.
- On iPhone 8 and later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
- When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
- After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device. Or if the device will be used with a Mobile Device management(MDM) tool it will require being put into 'supervised mode' before it can be associated with the MDM. For details on how do this please follow the guide - How to Supervise an iOS Device with Apple Configurator v2.5
Apple Guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263