Learn how to push a Version, and how each iRiS Guest App updates on the device
Draft Mode allows you to create and preview content before publishing, and when you're ready to push a Live Version, each product receives the Version in different ways. Beneath is an explanation of how each product should see the latest content Version.
iRiS Guest Web
iRiS Guest Web is a product that's included with iRiS Guest Room and iRiS Guest Mobile, and a feature of this is Draft mode to preview your content, the Live mode is in sync with what iRiS Guest Room and iRiS Guest Mobile will show to the guest. When you publish a Version from Content Management > Versions, iRiS Guest Web will receive the updated content when you refresh the page, or after 20 minutes the page will update with the latest content Version.
iRiS Guest Mobile
iRiS Guest Mobile operates in a different way. When a user has the App open, it will display a Version of content and while open it will never ask our server for a new content Version. iRiS Guest Mobile will only check for a new Version after the App has been closed and re-opened, the App will then update without any interruption to what the user is doing.
iRiS Guest Room
iRiS Guest Room operates in a different way to Web and Mobile again, and this is because in most hotels all devices are online at all times. If there is a hotel with 100 devices all using iRiS Guest Room, we need to intelligently provide updates to the devices without breaking any hotels network infrastructure if it's a Version with a lot of new content and Images, for example. Every iRiS Guest Room App runs on a timer, and every App will ask GXP if there's any new content roughly every 30 minutes, and then after that receives the update in roughly 30 minutes, meaning that it takes up to 60 minutes for all the iRiS Guest Room Apps to update to the latest content Version. Below is a timeline of how the iRiS Guest Room App updates content.
- User publishes a Version at 9PM from GXP > Content Management > Versions
- 100 devices running in the hotel check for new Versions every 15 minutes with an added random 1-10 minute buffer period
- By 9:30PM each of the 100 devices should now know there's a new Version available
- Each of the 100 devices take the Version in a random order to not all receive content at the same time over the next 15 minutes
- By 10PM, every device is updated to the latest content Version, without all requesting and receiving the update at the same time.
Roughly, within 1 hour the iRiS Guest Room Apps will be updated across your property.